Tuesday, November 18, 2008

2008 Deer hunting season

Well this was a very interesting and exciting hunting season for me. With the first time DNR has banned baiting in lower Michigan, I had to resort to actually "hunting" instead of drawing them in with bait. During the bow season using calls, and scents, I was able to call in four bucks to my tree. Each one got bigger, beginning with a 3 pt., then a 4 pt, a 6 pt, and finally an 8 pt. Without getting into all the details, unfortunate circumstances caused me to miss my shots (my bow sights being off, shooting around and hitting branches). Unfortunately I did hit a 3 pt during bow season but was unable to find the deer. The arrow was a complete pass through, but the blood trail stopped. Firearms season, opening day, I did shoot a doe. I saw 9 deeer, but no bucks. This was the most miserable opening day since I began hunting in 1980. It was cold, and rainy. Although my hunting suit kept me dry, my 2 pair of gloves got wet, and once my hands were wet and cold, there was just no recovery, I was freezzzzzing. Thats about it. Rachel, I spared you the picture of the doe!!:) What I will tell you is the night before firearm, I had the cutest little fawn buck come under my tree, within arrow range, and thought to myself "I just can't shoot him, he is just too cute". I let him go.

3 comments:

Rachel B said...

I am glad you got a deer, Dave. And I was really just kidding about posting the pictures. ANd I am glad to hear that you wouldn't shoot a little baby deer.

Dave said...

I know you were only kidding and I thought you would be proud of me for not shooting bambi.

Greg & Andrea said...

I'm glad you didn't shoot little Bambi. And I'm happy for you that you got a dear. That meat will be sooo good.