Thursday, May 8, 2008

It's Morel Mushroom Time


Well, it's that time of the year again where you can find in the fields, wood lots and sometimes even in the backyard, those tiny morsels, the morel mushrooms. I have my secret spots around home where I can find them. This is my first time out this season and I was able to find 58 mushrooms. They are considered a delicacy and have a nutty taste. None of my girls will eat them, they think they are gross. Michelle thinks they look like the alien pods from the movie "Aliens". They do have bugs in at times because they are hollow but I bath them in saltwater and the bugs come out. Once cleaned, sauteed in garlic butter and onions, mmm,mmm! The season usually last until the 1st or 2nd week in June, so plenty of time to find more!

2 comments:

Greg & Andrea said...

I'm glad that you are able to get out and find some mushrooms but just know that when Eva and I come out I probably won't be eating any. Although we could try and feed them to Eva, she might like them. Then you can take her out and she can help you hunt!

Rachel B said...

I am trying to think of something funny to write about eating random mushrooms, but I got nothin'. I have never tried those kinds of mushrooms before. Maybe if I ever get to MIchigan again...