Sunday, March 29, 2009

Retirement!


It's hard to believe, 49 years old, 31 years of service, and now I rank among the retirees of General Motors. As of April 1, 2009 it will be official. I accepted the GM incentive package to retire with a monthly pension, vehicle voucher and cash, and full benefits, which was being offered to employees with 30 or more years of service. The decision was a hard one to make. With uncertain times ahead and the fact that in February, I was reduced as an electrician and offered to either take a lay off from Skilled Trades or go back to work the production line. I decided that taking a pay cut of $5.00 per hour and working in production was still better than being laid off. With the possibility of even more cut backs in contractual issues and benefits I said enough is enough. I felt that the incentive offer being given at this time is probably the best it is going to get, so I closed this chapter of my life at GM and retired. I look forward to what lies ahead. I'm currently in school looking to get into the medical field in Respiratory Therapy but I also have an appointment later this week at Michigan Institute of Aviation Technology in their Energy Industry field, possibly in wind power (green energy). I'm very excited about that and with my electrical back ground I think that may be a better fit for me then the medical field so we'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Rachel B said...

Wow. That is pretty exciting! I wish you guys would move out here!

Tom & Michelle said...

Congrats dad! 31 years thats crazy. Im proud of you for all the hard work that you put in there at GM. And for all that you were able to give to us from that job. I really love you and hope this new chapter in your life will be great.

Greg & Andrea said...

Oh Daddy it's kinda sad. It's exciting that you will be starting something new but at the same time it's a little sad that after 31 years it's ending not it the way you had probably imagined. Still I think you would do a great in a number of different jobs. Good luck and take a little time to enjoy retirement before you start working too hard again. Love you.

Amber said...

Congratulations on the many years of hard work. I hope you can find something that you enjoy and not have to work very hard at. :) I love you! I still think a job in Salt Lake would be the best fit. :) Fingers crossed.